CSK Announces Completion of CEO Transition and Appointment of Executive Vice President, Merchandising

first_imgPHOENIX — CSK Auto Corp. has announced that it filed its remaining fiscal 2006 periodic SEC reports. As previously planned, upon the filing of the remaining fiscal 2006 reports, current Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer Maynard Jenkins who is retired from the company and Lawrence Mondry assumed the president and CEO positions. They were also appointed to the company’s board of directors. AdvertisementClick Here to Read MoreAdvertisement Charles Marquis, the company’s lead director, has been appointed to the position of chairman of the board. The company also announced the appointment of Brian Woods to the position of executive vice president, merchandising. Most recently, Woods served as executive vice president and general merchandising manager of CompUSA from Oct. 2003 to Feb. 2007. He has also served in a variety of executive and management positions with CompUSA including vice president of technology services, senior director of technical services and director of service project management, a position responsible for building CompUSA’s national account commercial business. Mondry said, “Brian has a proven ability to develop and mobilize a team to quickly analyze key business drivers and develop strategies to grow the bottom line. Brian’s addition to the company will strengthen our senior management team and bring a fresh yet experienced perspective to CSK.” For more information on CSK, go to: http://www.cskauto.com/.last_img read more

Read More
NMR&LD: Salsa Swindler Sentenced To Prison

first_imgTriste was convicted of Fraud over $20,000 and Securities Fraud by a Doña Ana County jury in July of this year. Additionally, Triste admitted to a prior felony conviction and was sentenced as a habitual offender. An investigation by the Securities Division revealed that Triste had no registered business in New Mexico of any kind and used most of the money for personal expenses. The case was prosecuted by the Securities Division and the Office of Third Judicial District Attorney Mark D’Antonio. “We are here to protect New Mexico investors. Fraudulent activity in our community will not be tolerated and we will pursue all actions to keep investors safe in our state,” Salazar said. Triste began a romantic, long-distance relationship with the woman over the telephone and kept her interest by falsely claiming to have been a Major in the United States Marines and a prisoner of war with the late U.S. Sen. John McCain. Shortly thereafter, Triste began to solicit investments from the woman and represented to her that she stood to receive a one-third stake in his salsa company. However, Triste never disclosed to her that he was on probation for a previous fraud conviction and was using her money to repay the prior criminal judgment. “Securities fraud is a serious offense, and we are pleased with the message this sends to other would-be scam artists,” Securities Division Director Matthew Bouillon Mascareñas said.center_img About the Regulation and Licensing Department’s Securities Division LAS CRUCES ― New Mexico Regulation and Licensing Department Superintendent Marguerite Salazar announced Tuesday that Eduardo Triste (a.k.a. Edward Cristo) of Las Cruces was sentenced to four years in prison and ordered to pay $65,966.83 in restitution for defrauding a 70-year-old Orange County, Calif., woman who he persuaded to invest in his fictitious salsa company. NMR&LD News: The Regulation and Licensing Department’s Securities Division protects New Mexicans from fraud and financial abuse by licensing investment professionals, registering securities offerings made in the state, offering fraud prevention and educational programs to the public, and investigating fraud and other violations of state securities laws. To learn more about investment fraud, visit the division’s website at redflagsnm.com or call 800.704.5533.last_img read more

Read More
Unite shares plunge after results disappoint

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Read More
Commercial auction income at Allsop up 31% year on year

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Read More
Barbados Prime Minister: Criteria Must Reflect Countries’ Needs

first_img CMO says Saint Lucia at critical stage of COVID-19 outbreak “And what we are not assured of is early access to rapid tests that will allow our countries to open back up safely and to ensure that our population is not exposed in a way that is injurious to them, simply because we want them to have their livelihoods in tourism.” Prime Minister of Barbados Mia Amor Mottley has told the global community that criteria and definitions used to determine access to goods and credit in a COVID-19 crisis or afterwards, must reflect countries’ needs rather than “simple definitional criteria that make it easier for economists” to categorize where persons should go. You may be interested in… Ms. Mottley noted that the Caribbean, which is a travel, tourism and trade dependent region, now faced a trebling of unemployment, and a reduction by more than half of government revenues, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Share this:PrintTwitterFacebookLinkedInLike this:Like Loading… Oct 16, 2020 Six Eastern Caribbean countries deemed safe for travel – CDC Ms. Mottley expressed this view as she addressed a virtual High-Level Event on Financing for Development in the Era of COVID-19 and Beyond, which was co-convened by Canada, Jamaica and the United Nations. Several Prime Ministers across the world also spoke at the event. St. Lucia records more cases of COVID Oct 15, 2020 The Prime Minister told her audience: “We have many middle-income countries in our region, and in fact among the small states of the world, and many of us are excluded from access to concessional funding even in the midst of this pandemic, when we need access to money to boost our health systems more than ever, when we need access to credit to be able to offset the dislocation that has come from zero revenue from tourism, zero revenue from air travel. More deaths from COVID-19 recorded in CARICOM countries,… “But yet there is not a development plan that allows us to meet these chronic NCDs favourably for enough of our citizens,” she contended. Oct 15, 2020 “I hope that the countries of the world can respond that just as 75 years ago we created institutions that were appropriate to the time, that we can say that we created definitions and also modalities that really helped countries and citizens live in a COVID world, rather than simply be collateral damage to the larger countries of the world,” she stated. Oct 16, 2020 Ms. Mottley said persons would ask, in the future, what was done in the period of the pandemic to make the world more equitable and just; countries better capable of meeting the other existential threats of the climate crisis and citizens able to maintain themselves. The Prime Minister insisted that if multilateralism is to mean something in today’s world, then there must be fairness and equity, not only among citizens in a democratic society, but among countries in a world that is fair and democratic. Challenges of 2020 Amplify Importance of Regional Cooperation – CARICOM Outgoing ChairOutgoing Chair of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), Prime Minister Mia Mottley of Barbados, has expressed profound gratitude to the organisation and institutions that have steered the Community through the unprecedented challenges posed so far by the year 2020. Prime Minister Mottley said when she assumed chairmanship at the behest of…July 3, 2020In “Barbados”PM Mottley Renews Calls for Restructuring of Global Financial System (Barbados Today) Prime Minister Mia Mottley Monday reiterated a call for a restructuring of the global financial system and urged the Pan American health organisation (PAHO) to continue its efforts to assist small developing countries like those in the Caribbean deal with the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic that…September 28, 2020In “CARICOM”CARICOM SG commends regional response to COVID-19CARICOM Secretary-General, Ambassador Irwin LaRocque, has commended the health emergency response mechanism engineered by the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) to keep the Community free of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). Secretary-General LaRocque said the inter-agency collaboration that was taking place was another example of the co-ordination required to address the…February 18, 2020In “31Intersessional”Share this on WhatsApp She proffered the view that the time had come for more than words, and again said there was need for a global leadership initiative. The co-morbidities from chronic NCDs, she pointed out, make citizens more vulnerable to serious conditions and death with respect to COVID-19.last_img read more

Read More
The Secret Garden: Serpentine Pavilion 2011

first_imgThis year’s Serpentine Pavilion has been designed by renowned Swiss architect Peter Zumthor. It is conceived as an enclosed garden that Zumthor hopes will inspire visitors to become observers of nature. The single-storey, lightweight timber-frame structure is wrapped with scrim and coated with a black Idenden. The garden itself is further separated from the outside world by staggered entrances set into a narrow, outer vestibule. Once inside, a broad central strip is filled with rare species of plants and flowers, all of which contrast sharply with the rigid geometries and sombre tone of the pavilion itself.Zumthor set out to create a contemplative space which offers a sensory, spiritual experience that creates intimacy with nature. Severed from the noise and views of London and shrouded in its sepulchral black skin, the pavilion certainly evokes an atmospheric sense of enclosure and immerses the visitor in the vibrant smells and colours of nature.But seeing as the core aim of the pavilion is to observe nature, it seems odd that it adopts such extreme measures to disengage itself from its parkland surroundings. Even within the historic typology of a walled garden, (which naturally promotes the concept of separation) the oppressive form of the architecture makes as much of an impact as the garden itself. There is no subtlety here, merely the didactic realisation of a concept.The lasting impression Zumthor’s pavilion leaves therefore is not one of nature but of irony. Like Stanley Kubrick’s seminal black monolith surrounded by a pack of braying apes at the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey, it constructs a poetically absurd physical juxtaposition in order to imply a more civilised human existence. The Serpentine Gallery will be open to the public from 1st July to 16th Octoberlast_img read more

Read More
Would retention trust funds work?

first_imgTo continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Subscribe now for unlimited access Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Get your free guest access  SIGN UP TODAY Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our communitylast_img read more

Read More
Universal moves gas tank trio

first_imgThe tanks were loaded onto trailers in D??ín and transported by road to the nearest inland port, where the cargo was offloaded by two 700-tonne capacity cranes onto an inland waterway vessel.The tanks, each of which weighed 276 tonnes and had the dimensions 50 m x 6 m x 6 m, were then barged to the German port of Hamburg, from where the cargo was shipped to Norway for oncarriage to its final destination.  www.universal-transport.comlast_img

Read More
MoJ shuns ‘difficult issue’ of whiplash settlement ban

first_imgThe government has opted out of an outright ban on insurers making pre-medical offers to settle.A press statement published yesterday confirmed that the Ministry of Justice will introduce panels of experts from October to ensure that claimed whiplash injuries are thoroughly examined. As the Gazette reported in May, medical professionals will be able to charge only £180 for an initial whiplash report, down from the current upper limit of £700.At the same time, new court rules will allow defendants to give their account directly to the medical expert, and will stop experts who produce medical reports offering treatment to the injured claimant.But on the issue of insurers settling whiplash claims without a medical report – a key grievance of the claimant industry – the government has said it will merely ‘discourage’ the practice.In a letter to accompany the announcement, justice minister Lord Faulks (pictured) said the government still believed pre-medical offers should be prohibited, but finding a way of doing so through legislation was not possible.‘This is a difficult issue and a new rule alone is not enough to address this particular problem,’ said Faulks. ‘The rules are being amended to strongly discourage this practice and the MoJ intends to continue to work with the industry on further ways to tackle this issue effectively.’The refusal to create rules on pre-medical offers is a climb-down from last October, when justice secretary Chris Grayling said he wanted insurers to ‘end the practice of making offers to settle claims without requiring medical reports’.Craig Budsworth, chair of the Motor Accidents Solicitors Society (MASS), said the government had ‘watered down’ its commitment to stopping the offers. MASS has previously called for a ban as it believes this will discourage people from making spurious or exaggerated claims.Budsworth told the Gazette: ‘We are getting all these changes making it harder to claim but get nothing similar that impacts on insurers. The balance has shifted too far. Pre-medical offers will continue unless something is introduced in law.’Government figures show that half a million whiplash claims are made each year, and insurers estimate they add an average £90 a year to each motor insurance policy.Breakdown recovery specialist the AA says motor insurance premiums have dropped by an average of 19% over the past year following government reforms of the claims procedure.last_img read more

Read More
Wired up

first_imgFRANCE: After three years of work, electrification on the 103 km Tours – Vierzon line went live on July 11. The Centre region provided €60m of the €107m cost, central government €30·1m, the EU €15·9m and RFF €1m. The next stage will be electrification of the 58 km between Bourges and Saincaize, near Nevers. In the longer term, wiring of the Nevers – Chagny line in Bourgogne would complete electrification between Nantes and Lyon.last_img

Read More